Alright, so for any of you who have read my post since almost the beginning, you all would know that my volleyball obsession slight started at my family reunion. (When I say slightly it’s because there were more determining factors that led to my obsession). Well, every two years my reunion takes place down in Indiana and guess what? It’s that time again! Two years goes by so fast and I have grown so much as a volleyball player and a person. So for this blog post I will be laying out five things that I have learned in volleyball in my first two years of playing!
1. The proper way to receive a volleyball! If you all remember, this is what made our team lose to My Uncles team at the last reunion. This time will be different!
2. That volleyball is a team sport. Volleyball is one of those sports where you can’t play alone, you have to trust and believe in your team. You can’t hold the ball, and you can’t touch it more than once in a row. This one was kinda hard for me because I’ve never played on a team till recently, so it took me a while to learn to trust my team and not try to carry the whole team by myself.
3. Hitting the ball hard is not always better. If you have ever watched Vball on tv they spike hard and powerful BUT, that’s professional and if you aren’t professional there is a good chance you can’t do that. Well good news, there are other ways to score points. Volleyball is very much a game for thinkers. It’s a tactical game. You can score points by being smart and thinking ahead. For example, where is their weakest receiver, I’m going to serve to them. Where is there shortest player, I’m going to spike by him. Find your strengths and use them against their weaknesses.
4. How to spike! This one was the most fun thing I learned in the past two years, learning how to spike and the proper approach to spiking really made a difference in my game!
5. Jump serving is hard. So I have learned to jump serve but I don’t play on enough leagues to keep up the practice and drill the form and approach into my head so that way I can be consistent. Lol so basically, I can do it about 30% of the time 🙂
And that’s all for me today! I’m hanging out with family most of the day so I will be busy. I hope you all have a great day!
Till next time,
13 things to do in this wonderful summer weather! As the weather only seems to get nicer every day this summer you may find yourself…not outside. And while Netflix is addicting and your bed is very comfortable. You know what is better than naps and Netflix? Making memories! And making friends! So this list has 13 things you can do outside in this beautiful summer weather.
1. Grab some friends and go get some ice cream and sit in a park!
2. Go catch a game of baseball! Whether it be minor league, major league, or high school. A good game of volleyball is a good way to enjoy the weather and relax.
3. Grab your hammock and go find strange places to hangout. This often makes for some fun adventures.
4. See how many random strangers you can convince to join a game of volleyball from your local park.
5. Sunbathe. Who doesn’t love a good tan.
6. Go swimming! This combines sunbathing with the best parts of summer. Relaxing and warm water.
7. Try to get 5 random strangers to go tubing with you.
8. Break out the kayaks and go paddle on a local lake.
9. Go stargazing! Now this doesn’t include the summer but it’s just as fun.
10. Go camping! Grab a few days off of work and steal all your best friends to make some memories from.
11. Make tie-dye shirts!
12. Try and build a huge sandcastle
13. Have a yard sale! Not only will you make money, but you can enjoy the weather and declutter your house at the same time.
That’s all for today, now quit reading this and go outside!
Till next time,
Hey everyone! So yesterday was the start of my summer volleyball league that I have been looking forward to for quite some time now! BUT, there was a bad side to it, a team did show up! So, Im on the lookout for another team, if anyone knows someone who would want to start a team just comment on this post! It runs at Farwell from 6:30-9 on every wednesday till June 27th. Alright, now on to the good stuff.
Yesterday we could only play two games because of the No Show team so the first game was Fluffy Cacti (My team, still trying to convince them to use a different name 😀 ) versus, Bumpin Uglies. We were missing two team members for the first two sets but luckily we had a family friend stopping by in town so shoutout to Taylor Flick for filling in on such short notice! So, Fluffy Cacti managed to secure the first set. The second set was a different story. The second set was a battle and went up into the 30s for points on both sides. For those of you who don’t know how scoring works, each Game is played with 3 sets. Each set is then played to 25 and you have to win by 2 to take the set. Then the winner of the game is the team who got best 2 out of 3 sets.
The second set was hard fought but Fluffy Cacti fell to the Bumpin Uglies. We were all tied up now in sets 1-1. We started the third set but didn’t get that far in before Caron (one of our missing members showed up late due to prior commitments). Caron came in the game all ready to play so now both teams had 6 players! Caron then went on a serving streak and put us up by I think 5 points in the middle of the third set and we went on to win the third set in the end thanks to Caron, or else we might’ve had another long set on our hands! But shoutout to my team, who killed it yesterday. All that prior practice really helped and we will only get better.
The second game was Fluffy Cacti vs No Diggity. This game was a good one and both teams started with six members but all but one member on No Diggity were substitutes, so we will be able to see their full team hopefully next week but they fought well but in the end Fluffy Cacti took all three sets vs No Diggity.
Now enjoy some cool pictures courtesy of my Father! Id also like to thank my mom who came out to watch! Thanks for the support guys!
Till next time,
Now, I’m sure a lot of you who will read this don’t watch professional volleyball because let’s be real, it’s not as mainstream as football, basketball, and soccer. And with the NBA playoffs currently having some INSANE series, you probably won’t take time out of your day to watch Volleyball. SO, with that said, I’m gonna do my best over the next month to keep you updated on the men’s USA team in the Volleyball Nations League tournament (VNL). I will also do my best to keep you updated a little on my life and what is happening in it! (If anyone is interested lol)
Alright, so USA men’s played their first game today really early in the morning for those of us in the USA because of a time difference. So they played at 1am! USA vs Argentina!
First two sets went over to Argentina and it straight up looked like they would sweep USA 3-0 and take the win but hahaha, USA kicked it into gear and just saved their energy on the first two games and came back to win the series 3-2. Which is super impressive because volleyball is a game where each team always has a chance to equally score, and all ARG had to do was win one more set! I almost kinda feel bad for them lol but they put up a great fight and I’m sure it will make a great game to watch. USA next plays tomorrow at 1 am, which is approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes from when I will publish this post so the game is probably already over by the time you read this. I’ll post on that hopefully Sunday when I get a chance.
As for updates on me, I currently have quite a bit going. I’m applying for a job for a company in California that I believe I would be a great fit in. I also think it is a work from home job so I don’t think I would have to move out there. I’m also looking at a college for Missionaries and will be getting more information on that Tuesday. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY (at the moment at least lol) my summer volleyball league starts on Wednesday! I made the schedule for it today and I made a list of announcements for opening day and I’m super stoked. I can’t wait to play somewhat competitively again and most of my team has got some real good practice in in the past few weeks.
As for now, that’s all I’ve got for ya. I’ll keep you all updated!
Till next time,
Alright, short post. So recently, lack of motivation to go out and be active has struck quite a few times. Which is what no one ever wants to have, right? Wouldn’t it be nice and perfect to always want to go out and run, or go to the gym? Wouldn’t it be nice to just be motivated all the time?! No matter what you’re doing?? While since lack of motivation is a reoccurring thing in all people I’m sure, I have found a solid way to combat it… Use what inspires you. And I’m not just talking the basic answers to what inspires people: quotes, songs, etc. I’m talking use EVERYTHING. You have to be on the lookout for things that inspire you. You have to look far and wide and when you find something, you grasp it and you never let go. Look in the little things, the big things, the unexpected things. Look to the positive side of things and more positive will come out, with more motivation will follow. Find the movie that makes you want to hit the gym, the shirt that makes you feel good, inside and out, the hobby that just gives you so much joy that it’s hard to contain. Those are the types of things that keep you going, that give you motivation, that give you happiness. Because I believe that motivation is just the first car in your train to happiness, and when you finally connect it to the locomotive, everything else follows right behind it.
Till next time,