Alright, so for any of you who have read my post since almost the beginning, you all would know that my volleyball obsession slight started at my family reunion. (When I say slightly it’s because there were more determining factors that led to my obsession). Well, every two years my reunion takes place down in Indiana and guess what? It’s that time again! Two years goes by so fast and I have grown so much as a volleyball player and a person. So for this blog post I will be laying out five things that I have learned in volleyball in my first two years of playing!
1. The proper way to receive a volleyball! If you all remember, this is what made our team lose to My Uncles team at the last reunion. This time will be different!
2. That volleyball is a team sport. Volleyball is one of those sports where you can’t play alone, you have to trust and believe in your team. You can’t hold the ball, and you can’t touch it more than once in a row. This one was kinda hard for me because I’ve never played on a team till recently, so it took me a while to learn to trust my team and not try to carry the whole team by myself.
3. Hitting the ball hard is not always better. If you have ever watched Vball on tv they spike hard and powerful BUT, that’s professional and if you aren’t professional there is a good chance you can’t do that. Well good news, there are other ways to score points. Volleyball is very much a game for thinkers. It’s a tactical game. You can score points by being smart and thinking ahead. For example, where is their weakest receiver, I’m going to serve to them. Where is there shortest player, I’m going to spike by him. Find your strengths and use them against their weaknesses.
4. How to spike! This one was the most fun thing I learned in the past two years, learning how to spike and the proper approach to spiking really made a difference in my game!
5. Jump serving is hard. So I have learned to jump serve but I don’t play on enough leagues to keep up the practice and drill the form and approach into my head so that way I can be consistent. Lol so basically, I can do it about 30% of the time 🙂
And that’s all for me today! I’m hanging out with family most of the day so I will be busy. I hope you all have a great day!
Till next time,
Now, I’m sure a lot of you who will read this don’t watch professional volleyball because let’s be real, it’s not as mainstream as football, basketball, and soccer. And with the NBA playoffs currently having some INSANE series, you probably won’t take time out of your day to watch Volleyball. SO, with that said, I’m gonna do my best over the next month to keep you updated on the men’s USA team in the Volleyball Nations League tournament (VNL). I will also do my best to keep you updated a little on my life and what is happening in it! (If anyone is interested lol)
Alright, so USA men’s played their first game today really early in the morning for those of us in the USA because of a time difference. So they played at 1am! USA vs Argentina!
First two sets went over to Argentina and it straight up looked like they would sweep USA 3-0 and take the win but hahaha, USA kicked it into gear and just saved their energy on the first two games and came back to win the series 3-2. Which is super impressive because volleyball is a game where each team always has a chance to equally score, and all ARG had to do was win one more set! I almost kinda feel bad for them lol but they put up a great fight and I’m sure it will make a great game to watch. USA next plays tomorrow at 1 am, which is approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes from when I will publish this post so the game is probably already over by the time you read this. I’ll post on that hopefully Sunday when I get a chance.
As for updates on me, I currently have quite a bit going. I’m applying for a job for a company in California that I believe I would be a great fit in. I also think it is a work from home job so I don’t think I would have to move out there. I’m also looking at a college for Missionaries and will be getting more information on that Tuesday. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY (at the moment at least lol) my summer volleyball league starts on Wednesday! I made the schedule for it today and I made a list of announcements for opening day and I’m super stoked. I can’t wait to play somewhat competitively again and most of my team has got some real good practice in in the past few weeks.
As for now, that’s all I’ve got for ya. I’ll keep you all updated!
Till next time,
Alright, short post. So recently, lack of motivation to go out and be active has struck quite a few times. Which is what no one ever wants to have, right? Wouldn’t it be nice and perfect to always want to go out and run, or go to the gym? Wouldn’t it be nice to just be motivated all the time?! No matter what you’re doing?? While since lack of motivation is a reoccurring thing in all people I’m sure, I have found a solid way to combat it… Use what inspires you. And I’m not just talking the basic answers to what inspires people: quotes, songs, etc. I’m talking use EVERYTHING. You have to be on the lookout for things that inspire you. You have to look far and wide and when you find something, you grasp it and you never let go. Look in the little things, the big things, the unexpected things. Look to the positive side of things and more positive will come out, with more motivation will follow. Find the movie that makes you want to hit the gym, the shirt that makes you feel good, inside and out, the hobby that just gives you so much joy that it’s hard to contain. Those are the types of things that keep you going, that give you motivation, that give you happiness. Because I believe that motivation is just the first car in your train to happiness, and when you finally connect it to the locomotive, everything else follows right behind it.
Till next time,
Today, I am going to be straying away from the volleyball theme and I will probably do it just a bit more often because not all people can relate to volleyball and enjoy reading about it, so in an attempt to draw new readers and make new friends, Im gonna try to make half my posts about volleyball and the other half about random topics that most people can relate to.
SO, recently I have found a group of guys that youtube together called…Yes Theory, ever heard of them? Because you should have. These guys have a slogan that is simply “Seek Discomfort”. Their whole brand and slogan is an attempt to bring them out of their comfort zone, make new friends, live an unforgettable life, and all while recording it and putting it up on youtube for the enjoyment of others. A brilliant idea if you ask me. Their whole philosophy is something that I have been trying to get myself to live more of lately and is something that hopefully I can actually live up to in the future and make part of my philosophy, because in the end, who doesn’t want an unforgettable life?
Till next time,
Check these guys out, you won’t regret a single second of watching EVERY single one of their videos when you get hooked. 🙂